12th May 2000
Heads of HEFCE Funded Institutions
Heads of SHEFC Funded Institutions
Heads of HEFCW Funded Institutions
Heads of DHFETE Funded Institutions
Research Assessment Exercise 2001: Survey of Submission Intentions
1. The purpose of this circular is to obtain information about the submission intentions of
institutions in the 2001 RAE. The information will assist in the planning for the assessment
process in 2001 and will help identify subject areas where the additional expertise of
specialist advisers may be required.
2. It would be helpful if each institution would return a complete survey of submission
intentions forms to the RAE Manager by 8th September 2000 stating whether or not it is intended
that a submission will be made to each Unit of Assessment (UoA) and, if so, indicating:
- the number (headcount) of staff to be returned as research active (Category A, A* or C).
- whether or not the submission is to be cross-referred to other panels and if so the reasons
- the specialisms covered within the submission.
- the languages research outputs are to be presented in if not in English or in one of the
main languages stated in the language panels criteria (ref: RAE 5/99 Assessment Panels' Criteria
and Working Methods).
- whether or not research outputs are to be referred to a sub-panel and, if so, an estimate of
the percentage of outputs to be referred. Institutions have the opportunity to request that
research outputs are referred to any of the sub-panels associated with the UoA to which they are
submitted. In addition to these sub-panels work may also be referred to the Development Studies
Sub-panel which is hosted by the Geography Panel.
3. HEIs that wish to discuss the completion of this survey should contact Anita Jackson, at
Northavon House, Bristol BS16 1QD; tel 0117 931 7260; email
This circular and the accompanying forms are also available electronically on the RAE website at
Dr John Rogers
Direct line 0117 931 7237
Direct Fax 0117 931 7476
c.c RAE Contracts
enc Submission Intentions Forms
Download this letter and submission intention forms:
Last updated 12 May 2000
| About the RAE2001
| Guidance for panel members
| Guidance for institutions
| Data collection
| Contacts ]