Guidance on submissions
Ref RAE 03/2005
|To:||Heads of HEFCE-funded higher education institutions|
Heads of HEFCW-funded higher education institutions
Heads of SHEFC-funded higher education institutions
Heads of universities in Northern Ireland
|Of interest to those responsible for:||Research assessment; Research policy; Planning|
|Publication date:||June 2005|
|Enquiries to:||Ed Hughes, Davina Madden or Josie Linton|
tel 0117 931 7267
NB: Adobe pdf versions amended 22 August 2005. This affects paragraph 105b only.
1. This document specifies the content and data requirements for submissions in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) and guides higher education institutions on policy and practical matters in preparing submissions.
2. In December 2006 the four UK higher education funding bodies will invite all eligible UK higher education institutions to make submissions in the 2008 RAE. Submissions will contain a common set of data comprising:
- information on staff in post on the census date, 31 October 2007
- details of publications and other forms of assessable output which they have produced during the publication period (1 January 2001 to 31 December 2007)
- data about research students and research income and a written commentary relating to the assessment period (1 January 2001 to 31 July 2007).
Submissions will be assessed in the course of 2008. Results, which the higher education funding bodies intend to use in calculating research grants from academic year 2009-10, will be published in December 2008.
3. This document is for information and to guide institutions in collecting data for inclusion in RAE 2008 submissions. No action is required by higher education institutions at this stage.