RAE 2008: Membership of RAE2008 panels
Ref RAE 03/2007
|To:||Heads of HEFCE-funded higher education institutions|
Heads of HEFCW-funded higher education institutions
Heads of SFC-funded higher education institutions
Heads of universities in Northern Ireland
|Of interest to those responsible for:||Research assessment, Research policy, Planning|
|Publication date:||November 2007|
|Enquiries to||Raegan Hiles or Davina Madden|
tel 0117 931 7267
Executive summary (read on-line)
Full document[ Adobe PDF 495K | Zipped PDF 406K ]
Introduction and Sections 1 & 2[ Adobe PDF 180K | Zipped PDF 141K ]
By panel area (Section 3)NB: Adobe pdf versions amended 28 November 2007. This affects the following sub-panels: 14. 24, 25, 55 and 61.
- Main Panel A (Adobe PDF 48K)
- Main Panel B (Adobe PDF 38K)
- Main Panel C (Adobe PDF 39K)
- Main Panel D (Adobe PDF 34K)
- Main Panel E (Adobe PDF 34K)
- Main Panel F (Adobe PDF 38K)
- Main Panel G (Adobe PDF 42K)
- Main Panel H (Adobe PDF 37K)
- Main Panel I (Adobe PDF 36K)
- Main Panel J (Adobe PDF 45K)
- Main Panel K (Adobe PDF 32K)
- Main Panel L (Adobe PDF 37K)
- Main Panel M (Adobe PDF 46K)
- Main Panel N (Adobe PDF 36K)
- Main Panel O (Adobe PDF 42K)
1. This document lists the membership of the main and sub-panels for the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE2008). The panels will assess the quality of research in submissions to RAE2008.
2. For the purpose of RAE2008, each academic discipline is assigned to one of 67 units of assessment (UOAs). There is a two-tier panel system: 67 sub-panels of experts, one for each UOA, work under the guidance of 15 main panels. Under each main panel are broadly cognate disciplines whose subjects have similar approaches to research.
3. Panel members are experts drawn from higher education institutions (HEIs) and the wider research community, and are nominated by subject associations and other stakeholder organisations. Each main panel and sub-panel has stipulated criteria and working methods that they will adhere to in making assessments: these were published in January 2006 as RAE 01/2006: RAE2008: Panel criteria and working methods.
4. This list of panel membership is correct at the time of going to print. Should any member retire from the panel or be replaced during 2008, we will update the electronic list in the Panels section of the website.
5. This document is for information and guidance. No action is required.